You didn’t need a crystal ball to guess the result of releasing prisoners over the threat of COVID-19.
Over 100 inmates who were released from Rikers Island in New York over coronavirus concerns have been arrested again by police, according to a new report.
About 110 inmates accounted for 190 arrests since the pandemic first hit New York City, The New York Post reported.
NYPD data showed that of the 190 arrests, 45 of them were for burglaries, contributing to a 43-percent spike in break-ins over the past month.
Over 16,000 inmates were released last month from facilities all over the U.S. due to COVID-19. About 1,500 were from New York City jails.
Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat, chastised those who have thrown away their second chance last month, adding that it now falls to the NYPD to control the chaos they’ve created.
“I think it’s unconscionable just on a human level that folks were shown mercy and this is what some of them have done,” he said during a news briefing. “We’re going to keep, just buckling down on it, making sure there is close monitoring and supervision to the maximum extent possible and the NYPD is going to keep doing what they’re doing.”
Really? This is the mindset of the Mayor of New York City? Naive, ignorant or just covering his ass, which is it?
Hollywood actors like Joaquin Phoenix and congressional Democrats have publicly lobbied for the release of prisoners in an attempt to prevent the coronavirus from spreading.
Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee sent a letter last month to Attorney General Bill Barr asking him to “release as many prisoners as possible.”
Others like San Bernadino County Sheriff John McMahon have argued against such measures and believe these policies will pose a danger to the public.
In an April interview with Fox 11, he claimed repeat child abusers are able to benefit from California’s $0 cash bail emergency mandate and will be released back into circulation. There are 13 exceptions for serious offenses, but child abuse was not one of them.
“Felony child abuse does not fit into that list of 13, so even though this guy had a prior for domestic violence conviction for child abuse, he gets arrested for child abuse again, and then he gets released on zero bail with a court date in July,” McMahon said.
“So that just doesn’t make any sense to me, maybe I’m missing something, but that doesn’t seem to me to be the right thing to do to protect the citizens of our county. If that person is in our custody, we can protect the victim, if he’s not, we can’t.”
Headed to The Markets
Who’s Crazier? Cramer or Musk?
That’s CNBC host Jim Cramer putting his support behind Elon Musk and his controversial move to reopen Tesla’s TSLA, -0.23% manufacturing plant in Northern California despite county orders.
“There are people who think he’s the greatest, and people who think that he’s willing to sacrifice people on the altar of profit,” Cramer continued. “He may not be as concerned about COVID as every person in the world, but there’s no indication that he’s willing to sacrifice people’s lives.”
As Cramer suggested, Musk certainly has expressed his doubts as to the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic, having called the panic “dumb” back in March and predicting that, by the end of April, the U.S. would probably see “close to zero new cases.”
Musk’s decision to flout the Alameda County order, of course, has also had its fair critics, including a California assemblywoman who lobbed an F-bomb in his direction.
President Trump tweeted support for Musk.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin chimed in with support, as well.
“He’s one of the biggest employers and manufacturers in California, and California should prioritize doing whatever they need to do to solve those health issues so that he can open quickly and safely,” he said in a separate CNBC interview on Monday.
As the debate raged on between those in favor and those against, Musk has made it clear on social media with a series of tweets that he has no intention of backing down.
What’s Trump Up To?
President Trump’s bid to reopen the economy after weeks of anti-coronavirus shutdowns comes as many states report increased hospital capacity and testing availability, despite loud objections from congressional Democrats, and many public health experts, that he is moving too fast.
But Trump’s actions are consistent with the initial justification for the lockdown. Avoiding hospital overcrowding during the pandemic was a major original rationale for the business closures and stay-at-home orders that have left millions out of work. Now that this has been accomplished in vast swaths of the country, some believe critics are moving the goalposts.
“We planned for the worst, and the worst did not manifest itself,” said Peter Pitts, president of the Center for Medicine in the Public Interest and a former Food and Drug Administration associate commissioner. “We’ve come from a killer virus that we have to stay at home to avoid, like the angel of death passing through Egypt, to a manageable health crisis.”
The Trump camp has been quick to highlight that many Democratic governors in blue states that have been hammered by the virus think it is safe to begin moving toward a reopening. “We have doubled the amount of testing in the last week,” Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont told MSNBC. “We’re gonna double it again in the next week.” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has alternated between praising and panning the White House response, said in a press conference, “We have abated the worst by what we’ve done, and now, we can intelligently turn towards reopening.”
“The way leaders like Trump and Cuomo succeed is by treating us like adults,” said Pitts. “We need enhanced personal responsibility — wearing masks, staggered work hours, enhanced personal hygiene. The crisis is going to be different depending on where you are and who you are. That doesn’t mean we can’t start to reopen the economy if we do so intelligently.”
This is Interesting
Here’s the long and SHORT of it…
It’s déjà vu for a Colombian man who has just been declared the world’s shortest man.
Guinness World Records announced on Tuesday that it has found Edward Niño Hernández to be the shortest living man who is mobile.
But this isn’t the first world record rodeo for the 2-foot-4.3938-inch resident of Bogota, who turned 34 on Sunday. Hernández was previously awarded the shortest living man (mobile) title in April 2010, when he measured in at 2 feet, 3.64 inches tall.
Later that year, Khagendra Thapa Magar of Nepal, who stood 2 feet, 2.41 inches tall became the new record holder. He later lost the title to a fellow Nepal citizen: 1-foot-9.5-inch Chandra Bahadur Dangi.
Both of those men have since died so the title is now passed once again to Hernández.
Meanwhile, 1-foot-11.6-inch Junrey Balawing of the Philippines remains the shortest non-mobile man.
Hernández received his second “shortest man” certificate at a medical clinic in his home city before social distancing guidelines were implemented, according to a Guinness World Records release.
Although his short stature made him a world record holder, he said his big smile was his real secret weapon.
“I use my smile to conquer the world! I always share my big smile with everyone; that’s my charm. I can achieve everything I propose to myself,” Hernández said in the release. “Everything is possible. … Size and height don’t matter! I want people to meet who I truly am: small in size, big in heart!”